Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Old School Romance

February 1, 2014
 "Say Anything"
 This Saturday night was a night to myself. Just lounging around and catching up on movies I started but never finished. Decided it was an oldie's type of night. 
 I'm not sure how I feel about "Breakfast at Tiffany's". For sure, I absolutely despise the caricature of the Japanese man that Micky Rooney portrays. Yes, he has said in interviews that he now hates that character, but doesn't change the fact that Audrey Hepburn is such a fashion icon and that this movie is so loved by many, that this horrendous caricature is still continuing to spread. Hopefully people know better and are more cultured to know that's not how all Asians are. 
"Breakfast at Tiffany's"
Also, I don't know how I feel about the idea of love as portrayed in this film. At first, during this scene, I was rooting for Holly Golightly and was all for the independent woman. However, there was something I read somewhere in the internet universe, that her main love interest was not trying to own her, but that Holly was shutting people out and should not be afraid of allowing another to see her vulnerabilities and weaknesses. I guess it's all up to interpretation and your personal viewpoints of the world. I guess I agree with both sides. I don't know. Watch it for yourself. Her fashion and makeup though. On point. 


No comments:

Post a Comment